We’re responsible for upholding city codes regarding environmental, housing, and zoning ordinances. By identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits, we serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of South Bend’s business and residential communities.
Code Enforcement Fees and Fines The Department of Code Enforcement can impose fees and fines for violations, citations, administrative costs,…
Pet Licensing Info Every cat or dog that is owned, resides within the Incorporated City Limits of South Bend at…
Vacant and Abandoned Property Vacant and abandoned properties are defined as properties where no one has lived in for at…
Litter Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
Dispute or Appeal an Invoice What is the cost to dispute or appeal an invoice?There is no cost to dispute/appeal…
Please see Code Enforcement Overview for more information.
Open Data about Code Enforcement can be found on the City’s Open Data Portal.
- Monday – Friday: 8am – 4:45pm
- Saturday & Sunday: Closed
The City of South Bend reminds all landlords / owners of rental units within city limits that the 2018 Landlord Registration period begins September 1st. All property owners who own a residential property(s) that the owner does not personally occupy must register that property (s) with Code Enforcement annually. The registration period will end on December 31st. The $5 fee will be waived if registered between 9/1/18 and 12/31/18.
To register, follow this link: Landlord Registration
Please mail completed forms to:
Department of Code Enforcement
227 W. Jefferson Blvd., Ste. 1300s
South Bend, IN 46601
Inspection Zones Map
Inspector Contact Information
- Area 1: Chris P. 574-235-5917
- Area 2: Tom A. 574-245-6061
- Area 3: Dena C. 574-245-6096
- Area 4: Steve M. 574-235-5918
- Area 5: Jim W. 574-245-6060
- Area 6: Jeff K. 574-245-6059
- Area 7: Ed W. 574-245-6062
- Area 8: John H. 574-235-5916
- Inspector 9: Rhonda R. 574-235-9164
- Inspector 10: Chad H. 574-235-9170
Violation Types & Procedures
Code Enforcement is responsible for identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits.
The most common types of violations are:
- Tall Grass
- Uncontrolled Dumping
- Traffic Obstructions
- Snow Removal
- Abandoned and Illegally Parked Vehicles
- Substandard Housing Conditions (ex: broken windows or doors, no heat, dilapidated flooring, vacant and abandoned properties, structural issues, etc.)
- Zoning Violations (ex: conducting a business in a residential neighborhood, multiple families residing in a single family structure, garage or trailer used as a residence, etc.)
For more information on these violations and how they are processed, please see their individual pages.
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601