We’re responsible for upholding city codes regarding environmental, housing, and zoning ordinances. By identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits, we serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of South Bend’s business and residential communities.
Litter Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
I Received a Code Enforcement Letter Code Enforcement sends a citation letter to the property owner of record stating the…
Grass and Weed Code Violation A grass and weed violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint…
Vegetation Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
Request an Interior Code Inspection Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior…
Please see Code Enforcement Overview for more information.
Open Data about Code Enforcement can be found on the City’s Open Data Portal.
- Monday – Friday: 8am – 4:45pm
- Saturday & Sunday: Closed
The City of South Bend reminds all landlords / owners of rental units within city limits that the 2018 Landlord Registration period begins September 1st. All property owners who own a residential property(s) that the owner does not personally occupy should register that property (s) with Code Enforcement annually. The registration period will end on December 31st. The $5 fee will be waived if registered between 9/1/18 and 12/31/18.
To register, follow this link: Landlord Registration
Please mail completed forms to:
Department of Code Enforcement
227 W. Jefferson Blvd., Ste. 1300s
South Bend, IN 46601
Inspection Areas Map
Inspector Contact Information
Chief Inspector – Jim W. 574-245-6060
- Area 1: Chris P. 574-235-5917
- Area 2: Jeff K. 574-245-6059
- Area 3: Ed W. 574-245-6062
- Area 4: Tom A. 574-245-6061
- Area 5: John H. 574-235-5916
- Area 6: Rhonda R. 574-235-9164
- Areas 1 & 2 – Dena C. 574-245-6096
- Areas 3 & 4 – Steve M. 574-235-5918
- Areas 5 &6 – Chad H. 574-235-9170
Lead Safety Information
Violation Types & Procedures
Code Enforcement is responsible for identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits.
The most common types of violations are:
- Tall Grass
- Uncontrolled Dumping
- Traffic Obstructions
- Snow Removal
- Abandoned and Illegally Parked Vehicles
- Substandard Housing Conditions (ex: broken windows or doors, no heat, dilapidated flooring, vacant and abandoned properties, structural issues, etc.)
- Zoning Violations (ex: conducting a business in a residential neighborhood, multiple families residing in a single family structure, garage or trailer used as a residence, etc.)
For more information on these violations and how they are processed, please see their individual pages.
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601