Common types of Environmental Violations include: uncollected trash and garbage, litter and debris, uncontrolled dumping, fallen trees, stumps, dead trees, cut brush, demolition remains, appliances or furniture in yard, auto parts and scrap metal, grass over 9 inches tall
- When an inspector observes an environmental violation, pictures are taken, a citation is issued, and a letter is sent to the property owner.
- The property owner has 10 days from the date the citation was mailed to abate the violation.
- After the 10 days have passed, an inspector will reinspect the property to verify the issue was abated.
- If the violation was cleaned by owner, the case is closed.
- If the violation is still present, the Neighborhood Enforcement Action Team (NEAT) will be assigned to abate the violation.
- NEAT will take a picture before they abate the violation and after they have abated the violation.
- After the violation has been abated by NEAT, Neighborhood Services & Enforcement will bill the property owner of record for the abatement.
NOTE: The City’s Department of Solid Waste can remedy many problems that involve removal of trash and debris. Dial 311 (or 574-233-0311) to schedule a special pick-up.
Click here to view Tall Grass and Weeds brochure.
Click here to view Unlawful / Uncontrolled Dumping Prevention brochure.
Click here to view Neighborhood Services & Enforcement brochure.
Click here to view Continuous Enforcement brochure.
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601