Supervises water treatment plants using ground water and treat so that it is safe to drink and meet all Safe Water Drinking Act standards. This process includes filtering; disinfecting; balancing the chemistry, taste and odor; and testing for microorganisms. Because these functions occur 24 hours a day, a plant supervisor/operator must sometimes work night shifts. This position requires 24 hour on-call for emergencies and also includes an on-call rotation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list represents the types of duties required by the position. Other duties may be assigned as reasonably expected.
• Actively supports the mission statements of the City and the Utility.
• Assists with hiring, training, team building, and evaluation of water personnel.
• Looks for and makes recommendations for improvement.
• Monitors computerized controls to insure the proper water flow, pressure and disinfection.
• Checks and reports all daily pumping records and running of equipment.
• Collects water samples for laboratory tests on water quality, disinfection levels, taste, odor and more.
• Inspects processes and equipment for proper operation.
• Calculates chemical mixtures and usage levels.
• Inspects for chemical leaks and failures.
• Backwashes filter cells/keeps track of wasted water and cell backwash frequency.
• Makes critical decisions on PLC setup.
• Manages and instructs other employees on maintenance and repair.
• Ensures that good housekeeping and safe work practices are followed.
• Records data and reports on water quality required by state and federal governments.
• Assists the Manager-Operations/or Manager-Maintenance of Water Treatment in the operations, pumping and treatment stations.
• Oversees all pumping personnel and checks the status of the equipment during the shift.
• Supervises hourly personnel. Records and maintains working schedules of all personnel and timecards. Arranges coverage of personnel on sick leave, holidays and vacations.
• Ability to make critical decisions and act on them.
• Assists in operations, maintenance and supervision of all personnel and equipment.
• Directs cleaning, painting and ground keeping duties of all locations (Well Fields and Water Works Structures.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned or as judgment/necessity dictates.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.