We provide quality legal representation to the City of South Bend's departments, commissions, and agencies, efficiently and cost effectively, with our dedicated and professionally-skilled staff. This allows us to help further South Bend’s strategic goals and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the City.
Access to Public Records Act
Access to Public Records Act Who is eligible to submit an APRA request?How long will it take for my request…
Liability Claims What is a Liability Claim?Who can file a Liability Claim?Where is a Liability Claim Form provided?When is a…
Alcoholic Beverage Permit
Alcoholic Beverage Permit What is an Alcoholic Beverage Permit? An Alcoholic beverage permit is a written certificate issued by the…
The Department does not provide legal advice to members of the public.
Information and Resources
- 2021 Annual Report
- 2020 Annual Report
- 2019 Annual Report
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2015 Annual Report
How do I file a claim against the City?
If you believe the City of South Bend is responsible for damage to your property or person, a claim must be filed with the City’s Legal Department. Your claim will be investigated. For additional information, please call the Legal Department at 574.235.9241.
- File a claim: According to Indiana law, a notice of claim against the City must describe in a short and plain statement the facts on which the claim is based, including:
- Circumstances which brought about loss;
- Extent of loss (please provide two (2) written estimates for property damage);
- Time and place loss occurred;
- Names of all persons involved, if known;
- Amount of the damages sought;
- Claimant’s residence at time of loss and time of filing notice.
- The notice of claim should be sent to the address on the liability claim form.
- A claim against the City of South Bend must be received by the City within 180 days of the date of the incident.
- Submission of a claim does not mean that the City necessarily will pay the claim.
- The information listed above must be provided before the City may begin to process your claim.
Other Helpful Information:
227 W Jefferson Blvd, Suite 1200S South Bend, IN 46601