Animal Welfare Municipal Code
These laws protect citizens from dangerous or nuisance animals and provide for basic animal care requirements. Only the most common problems are outlined below. Please read Chapter 5 of the South Bend Municipal Code for all pet ownership ordinances.
Animal owners must comply with the following ordinance:
- Dogs and cats may not run at large. Your pet must be on a leash when it is off your property.
- All dogs and cats over 6 months of age must have a current pet license.
- All dogs, cats and ferrets over 3 months of age must have a current rabies vaccination.
- Allowing a dog to disturb neighbors by barking is not permitted.
- Pet owners must remove any animal waste deposited by their animal on public or private property.
- All pets must be provided with adequate shelter, food, and water.
- All pets must be provided with necessary medical care in addition to the required rabies vaccination.
- All pet areas must be maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- No pet shall be tied to a rope, chain or cord fastened directly to the neck. Choker collars used for training need to be replaced with a leather or nylon collar immediately after training. Please see our Tethering Brochure for more information.
- No pet shall be left unattended in a vehicle when conditions constitute a health hazard.
- No person shall beat, cruelly treat, neglect, torment, overload, overwork, or otherwise abuse an animal.
- Dog and cock fighting are illegal in South Bend, and is a felony in the State of Indiana.
Nuisance Animal Laws
- Excessive barking is a violation. Owners must immediately attend to their pet when barking begins.
- Pet waste must be cleaned up daily.
- Walking your pet? Carry potty bags to pick up all waste.
- Pets must be restrained at all times.
Monthly Intake/Outcome of Animals
August 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Species
August 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Subtype
September 2018 Intake by Species
September 2018 Outcome Adoption
September 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Species
September 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Subtype
October 2018 Animal Intake by Species
October 2018 Animal Intake by Type
October 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Species
October 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Subtype
November 2018 Intake by Species
November 2018 Outcome Adoption
November 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Species
November 2018 Outcome Euthanasia by Subtype
Animal Welfare Commission Meeting Minutes
South Bend Animal Welfare Commission Regular Minutes-November 1-2018
South Bend Animal Welfare Commission Special Meeting Minutes-November 29-2018