April 22, 2020
The City of South Bend’s Department of Public Works 2020 paving season kicks off this week and will go through mid-November. The first phase will include 36 lane miles of streets to be paved in the city. About 15 lane miles of the paving will be done by City crews, while the rest will be performed by private contractors.
The City will also bid out a second phase of street paving early summer. This list is being finalized and will be released at a later date.
Once the paving crews begin work, it will take approximately three to five days to complete each segment of street on this list. Streets must be milled and prepped prior to paving and will be closed during working operations (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.). Signage will be posted prior to the start of work so residents and businesses are aware of the upcoming work.
The City’s 2020 Phase 1 paving list is included below:
– 23rd Street from Mishawaka Avenue south to dead end
– 27th Street from Pleasant Street to Northside Boulevard
– Ameritech Drive from Cleveland Road to Carbonmill Drive
– Angela Boulevard from Lafayette Boulevard to North Shore Drive
– Brick Road from Technology Drive to Ameritech Drive
– Chapin Street from Western Avenue to Sample Street
– College Street from Lincoln Way West to Vassar Street
– Dale Street from Donmoyer Avenue to Oakside Street
– Dennis Drive from Norton Drive to Brookton Drive
– Donmoyer Avenue from Miami Street to Fellows Street
– Falcon Street from Western Avenue to Washington Street
– Freemont Street from Elwood Avenue to Keller Street
– Grandview Avenue from Linden Avenue to Kankakee Trail
– Grant Street from Dunham Street to Huron Street
– Hawthorne Drive from Wilson Avenue to Colfax Avenue
– Huron Street from Lombardy Drive to Huron Circle
– Ironwood Road from Ireland Road to city limits
– Jefferson Boulevard from Eddy Street to Ironwood Drive
– Lafayette Boulevard from South Street to Indiana Avenue
– La Porte Avenue from Colfax Avenue to Walnut Street
– LaSalle Avenue from Twyckenham Drive to Greenlawn Avenue
– LaSalle Avenue from Williams Street to Lincoln Way West
– Miami Street from Calvert Street to Lincoln Way East
– Miami Street from Ireland Road to Widener Lane
– Monroe Street from Michigan Street to Bronson Street
– Northside Boulevard from Ironwood Drive to 2007 Northside Boulevard
– Olive Street from Elwood Avenue to Lincoln Way West
– Overlook Court from Sampson Street to cul de sac
– Parallel Street from Grant Street to Jackson Street
– Prast Boulevard from Ardmore Trail to Bendix Drive
– Privet Lane from Southbrook Drive to cul de sac
– Rockne Drive from Twyckenham Drive to Ironwood Drive
– Rush Street from Irvington Avenue to Oakside Street
– Sampson Street from Inwood Road to Galway Drive
– South Street from Longfellow Avenue to Sunnyside Avenue
– Twyckenham Drive from Bowman Street to Woodside Drive
– Twyckenham Drive from Mishawaka Avenue to Lincoln Way East
– Walnut Street from La Porte Avenue to Linden Avenue
In addition to the work noted above, the City has secured federal funding for the full reconstruction of a few major roadways in the city. These projects are:
- Bendix Drive: Replacement of the concrete pavement on Bendix Drive from the south end of the bridge over the Indiana Toll Road to north of Lathrop Street. The project is currently underway and is anticipated to be completed by mid-September.
- Corby, Rockne & Ironwood Intersection: Reconstruction of pavement in the intersection, installation of new traffic signal system and storm sewers. Project is expected to begin early May with an anticipated completion date of late October.
- Olive Street: Replacement of the pavement from State Road 23 to Indiana Court. Project is expected to begin in late spring with an anticipated completion date of November 2020.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, the City is taking measures to ensure the safety of their staff. The City has implemented social distancing measures along with providing staff necessary personal protective equipment to do their work safely and effectively. Residents can follow the progress of the paving work at southbendin.gov/paving.