Complete our pre-application to start the grant process. You’ll hear from us within 2 weeks for next steps.
- Jacob Alexander, Business Development Specialist, Department of Community Investment, (574) 235-9278, email@example.com
- Amy Paul, Business Development Manager, Department of Community Investment, (574) 235-7638, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You’re a property owner or tenant with frontage on the street within City limits. (Improvements should be visible from the street, except for solar panels or green roof installations. A business does not need frontage on the street in order to apply for and to be eligible for the solar grant.)
- Business use must be present on the property or be established within six months of the final grant payment.
- Property taxes must be current.
- Property must not be listed for sale.
- Projects may be comprised of one eligible item or any combination of eligible items.
- This program is not intended to fund deferred maintenance.
The following types of improvements are eligible for 50% matching grant funds on commercial and mixed-use buildings:
- Restoration of facade to original or comparable appearance
- Restoration of architectural features
- Green roof (extra materials required specifically for a green roof, excluding standard roof materials)
- Brick or masonry, including cleaning and tuckpointing
- Painting or other appropriate facade treatments of exterior surfaces
- Double-paned windows using clear glass
- New exterior doors
- Awnings and canopies (fabric or metal)
- Signs (building or monument)
- Murals and public art
- Decorative LED lighting (dark sky compliant) that highlights the front of the building
- Decorative fencing (wrought iron or decorative aluminum with 4-foot maximum height)
- Curb and sidewalk improvements
- Bike racks and outdoor tables, chairs, benches, and areas for commercial purposes
- Outdoor sound systems
- Open storefronts and active rooftops that encourage interaction between the street and business
- Enhancements that activate the sidewalk such as outdoor dining areas, merchandise displays, or planters
- Barriers or railings that have permanence
- Architectural lighting which enhances the building’s facade, enhances the pedestrian environment, lights window display areas, and/or highlights architectural details
Projects that meet the criteria for advanced sustainability benefits are eligible for additional funding above and beyond the base funding of 50%.
When the sustainability bonus is added to an eligible standard item, the grant share for that item can increase to 70%.
- Energy Star-rated windows
- New energy efficient doors
- Pervious surface, permeable pavers
- Thirty (30) percent recycled-content material
- Xeriscaping (drought tolerant landscaping)
- Rain garden
- No-VOC Paint
SUNpowered (SOLAR) grant
- Any size or type of Solar PV installation (roof mounted, roof ballasted, ground mounted, canopy mounted, solar awnings)
- Installation may be battery-based (off-grid), grid-tied, or interconnected to the grid with a battery
NOT Eligible Projects
- Interior improvements or improvements to single-use residential buildings
- Improvements not visible from the street, except for solar panel or green roof installation
- Regular and deferred maintenance items
- Removal or enclosure of architecturally important features
- Roof replacement or repairs, except when serving as an architectural element
- HVAC systems
- Freestanding signs, except monument signs
- Parking lot paving
- Chain link and other non-decorative fencing
- Security systems, window or door bars, security gates, and driveway gates
- Demolition of structures
- Environmental consulting, hazardous material testing services, or abatement costs
- Improvements in progress or completed prior to grant approval