Welcome to the newly updated South Bend Police Transparency Hub! This was a result of an initiative to make improvements based on resident feedback on how to make the user experience better!
Use this space to access and analyze raw data as well as to explore interactive visuals that provide context and help you interpret information about your Police Department and our community.
Police Data Categories
Below are the Police data pages containing dasboards, maps, and links to relevant data. Select a category to navigate to its page.
Relationship-based policing focuses on developing a relationship between residents and the officers they interact with to increase connectivity and engagement.
Relationship-Based Policing Strategic Plan – Full
Relationship-Based Policing One-Pager
“The most important call you’ll ever be on, is the one you’re on.”
21CP Solutions helps law enforcement agencies and communities to address modern challenges of policing.
In 2019, the City of South Bend tasked 21CP with conducting an assessment of the South Bend Police Department, focusing on six primary areas. 21CP developed a comprehensive report of recommendations for reform that can serve as an immediate roadmap for improvement. The full report was released in July of 2020.
To read the full report, click here.
The areas of focus included:
- Use of Force & De-Escalation
- Body-Worn Cameras
- Bias-Free Policing
- Community Engagement & Participation
- Officer Well-Being, Recruitment, Retention & Developing the Narrative.
The City of South Bend has identified 34 total projects in these focus areas and is actively working on these recommendations.
Looking for the Board of Public Safety?
The Board of Public Safety acts as the administrative agency for the South Bend Police and Fire Departments. The Board of Public Safety has exclusive control over the following:
- Adopting policies applicable to the Police and Fire Departments
- Adopting general and special orders to the Police and Fire Departments
- Approving the employment and training of police officers and firefighters
- Swearing in of police officers and firefighters upon completion of training
- Disciplinary actions for police officers and firefighters
- Approving police and fire coverage to newly annexed or other areas
Othe Information on the Board of Public Safety's Page:
- The Discpline Matrix
- Community Action Groups
- Public Safety Q&A
Find their page here.
Access the board's meeting schedule, agendas and other documentation here.