Works outdoors and on site in parks to assist City Arborist, City Horticulturalist and other Facility & Grounds team members with day-to-day upkeep and monitoring of city green spaces. Contributes to the preservation and cultivation of native species within city parks. Gains hands-on experience and first-hand knowledge of urban forestry management.
Works and observes natural preservation techniques in a variety of outdoor settings.
Maintains professional contact with internal staff, external partners and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list represents the types of duties required by the position. Other duties may be assigned as reasonably expected.
• Assists City Arborist and Horticulturalist in daily operations as needed.
• Uses knowledge in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to track health of local ecosystems.
• Contributes to development of an urban management plan.
• Uses knowledge in relevant field to suggest improvements to the Division.
• Conducts research into environmental sustainability concerns for VPA and how to effectively communicate that knowledge to the public.
• Attends divisional and departmental staff meetings, as requested.
• Networks with professionals in multiple fields within the City of South Bend and the local community.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.