Common types of Environmental Violations include: uncollected trash and garbage, litter and debris, uncontrolled dumping OR fallen trees, stumps, dead trees, cut brush OR demolition remains OR appliances or furniture in yard OR auto parts and scrap metal OR grass over 9 inches tall
Litter Code Violation What is a litter violation?What is the litter abatement procedure?How do I report a litter violation?311 Process…
Request an Interior Code Inspection Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior…
Vegetation Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
How to check if a property has outstanding Code Enforcement violations, invoices, and fines When is How to check if…
Trash Can Ticket Regulations [Summary] What are the ticket regulations for trash cans?Containers must not be placed on the front…
- When an inspector observes an environmental violation, pictures are taken, a citation is issued, and a letter is sent to the property owner.
- The property owner has 10 days from the date the citation was mailed to abate the violation.
- After the 10 days have passed, an inspector will reinspect the property to verify the issue was abated.
- If the violation was cleaned by owner, the case is closed.
- If the violation is still present, the Neighborhood Enforcement Action Team (NEAT) will be assigned to abate the violation.
- NEAT will take a picture before they abate the violation and after they have abated the violation.
- After the violation has been abated by NEAT, Code Enforcement will bill the property owner of record for the abatement.
NOTE: The City’s Department of Solid Waste can remedy many problems that involve removal of trash and debris. Dial 311 (or 574-233-0311) to schedule a special pick-up.
Click here to view Tall Grass and Weeds brochure.
Click here to view Unlawful / Uncontrolled Dumping Prevention brochure.
Click here to view Neighborhood Code Enforcement brochure.
Click here to view Continuous Enforcement brochure.
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601