Animal Control is responsible for upholding city codes regarding dogs, cats, wildlife, animal bites, and pet licensing.
Join us this Holiday Season as we offer Saturday hours and festivities!
December 1st & 15th from Noon to 4 p.m. we will offer photos with Santa at the shelter! Bring your kids, family and/or pets for a fun photo sessions with Santa! For $10 you will receive a 4×6 photo print and a digital copy!
“OPERATION SILENT NIGHT”
Join us on December 22nd from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for our Holiday Open house and join SBACC staff and volunteers as we attempt to clear out our adoption floors for “OPERATION SILENT NIGHT”! We are looking to adopt every animal in our Community Cat Room and in Dog Adoption Room by 5:00 p.m. in hopes of finding them homes in time for Christmas, thus creating a “silent night” here at the shelter! We will provide refreshments in addition to many fun activities for your two and four legged family members! Festivities include but are not limited to:
Decorate cookies for your kids (we even have edible ones for your furkids!)
Have you photo taken with Santa Paws from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (children and pets welcomed)
Create a salt dough paw print holiday keepsake with your pet
Strut your best holiday costume for the Costume Contest at 2:00 p.m. and win a prize (We encourage matching costumes with your pet!)
Create “Christmas Catnip” for your feline friends
Try your luck in our raffles to try to win a prize
View our “Giving Tree” and see how you can help meet the needs of the shelter and our animals
Meet the Shelter Manager at 11:30 a.m. and get answers to any questions on how you can become a foster, volunteer or both!
Adopt your newest family member
Inspectors investigate complaints regarding the Animal Control Ordinance.
Animal owners must comply with the following ordinance rules:
- Dogs and cats may not run at large. Your pet must be on a leash when it is off your property.
- All dogs and cats over 6 months of age must have a current pet license.
- Keeping a dog which disturbs neighbors by barking is not permitted.
- Pet owners must remove any animal waste deposited by their animal on public or private property.
Things that every pet owner should know:
- Patrol Hours: Officers are patrolling your neighborhoods from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday.
- Officers are also on call 24 hours for emergency situations, 7 days a week.
- Call us at 574.235.9303 to report: animals that are stray, injured, neglected, lost or found; animal bites; nuisance and cruelty complaints; wildlife problems
- Humane capture cage rental program to address stray cat and dog problems.
- Dead animals on roads inside the City Limits, please call 311.
Laws & Your Pet
These laws protect citizens from dangerous or nuisance animals and provide for basic animal care requirements. Only the most common problems are addressed.
- All pets must be provided with adequate shelter, food, and water.
- All pets must be provided with necessary medical care in addition to the required rabies vaccination.
- All pet areas must be maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- No pet shall be tied to a rope, chain or cord fastened directly to the neck. Choker collars used for training need to be replaced with a leather or nylon collar immediately after training.
- No pet shall be left unattended in a vehicle when conditions constitute a health hazard.
- No person shall beat, cruelly treat, neglect, torment, overload, overwork, or otherwise abuse an animal.
- Dog and cock fighting is illegal in South Bend, and is a felony in the State of Indiana.
Nuisance Animal Laws:
- Excessive barking: Owners must immediately attend to their pet when barking begins.
- Pet waste must be cleaned up daily.
- Walking your pet? Carry a pooper scooper.
- Pets must be restrained at all times.
Please read Chapter 5 of the South Bend Municipal Code for all Responsible Pet Ownership Ordinances which can be found here:
Monthly Intake/Outcome of Animals
Animal Control Commission Meeting Minutes
521 Eclipse Place South Bend, IN 46628
9:00 am - 6:00 pm Monday-Friday
Closed Saturday & Sunday