A vehicle is considered abandoned if it meets one of the following descriptions: on private property and over 3 years old, mechanically inoperable, and in a location visible from public property for 20 days OR on public property and partially dismantled or missing major mechanical parts OR on public property for a period of 3 days without being proven operable.
Litter Code Violation What is a litter violation?What is the litter abatement procedure?How do I report a litter violation?311 Process…
Request an Interior Code Inspection Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior…
Vegetation Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
How to check if a property has outstanding Code Enforcement violations, invoices, and fines When is How to check if…
Trash Can Ticket Regulations [Summary] What are the ticket regulations for trash cans?Containers must not be placed on the front…
- The inspector verifies the vehicle is considered abandoned according to Indiana State Law.
- The vehicle is ticketed with a red tag advising the owner that the vehicle must be proven operable or removed.
- If the vehicle owner has not complied within 72 hours, the vehicle is towed.
- If the vehicle is valued at under $500, the vehicle is sold for scrap immediately.
- If the vehicle is valued at over $500, the owners will receive written notification allowing them 15 days to reclaim their vehicle.
If you have an abandoned vehicle on your property and would like to sign a waiver permitting removal of the vehicle, please fill out this Waiver Form and submit it to our office.
Fax to: 574-235-7703
Mail/hand deliver to:Code Enforcement
Attn: Vehicle Waiver
1300 County-City Building
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
South Bend, IN 46601
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601