March 25, 2021
The City of South Bend’s annual yard waste season begins Thursday, April 1 and will run through the end of November. The program offers weekly pickup of yard waste such as grass clippings, brush and leaves, for a fee of $2 per month during the season. A 48- or 96-gallon yard waste bin is provided with collection taking place on the same day as trash pickup. Residents can sign up for the yard waste program at southbendin.gov/yardwaste or by calling 311.
The City will also offer an amnesty period during the month of April for its extra yard waste pickups. During the amnesty period, the normal limit of ten 30-gallon biodegradable bags or a cubic yard of tied limbs for a free extra pickup will be waived; however, residents will only be able to request one free extra pickup for April. Additional pickup requests for the month will be charged at $20 per cubic yard. To schedule an extra pickup, residents can submit an online request at southbendin.gov/ywextrapickup or call 311.
For extra pickups, residents need to follow these guidelines:
- All bags must be the brown, biodegradable paper leaf bags and completely void of any trash debris.
- Branches need to be cut to four (4) feet or shorter, be no more than four (4) inches in diameter and bundled securely with twine into manageable bundles.
- All items must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. on trash pickup day.
- Yard waste needs to be away from any cars, containers, mailboxes, trees or any other obstructions. Items cannot be under any powerlines or branches.
- No plastic of any kind will be accepted.