July 1, 2020
On Friday, July 3, Kennedy Water Playground (2700 Westmoor St., South Bend, IN 46628) will open to the public for the remainder of its Summer season. Though initially scheduled to open in early June alongside the many splash pads across South Bend, preparations in response to the pandemic as well as a few unforeseen mechanical issues postponed its reopening by a few weeks.
As families return to this playground packing over 19,000 gallons of aquatic fun, they should be prepared for a number of changes to our normal policies and procedures in efforts to create the safest environment possible in response to the Coronavirus. The first major change visitors may notice is a limit on overall capacity at 50% to allow space for physical distancing. Second is a change to our hours of operation as the water playground will close periodically throughout the day to allow for sanitization and deep cleaning. Public hours will be in the form of 2-hour sessions with 30-minute facility shutdowns in between to allow for this cleaning. To provide opportunity for as many individuals as possible to enjoy the water playground, an evening session from 5:30 – 7:30 pm has been added during the week (Mon – Thur). Admission passes purchased will be good for one (1) pool session.
In response to these changes, a new online system has been put in place to allow visitors to purchase their pool passes in advance, and effectively reserve their spot for their visit. To purchase a pool pass online guests can simply visit sbpva.org/kennedy (please note that passes purchased are only good for one session on a specific day at a specific time). In addition to these changes, a few others for pool goers to be aware of are as follows:
- We expect individuals to “recreate responsibly” and ask that those with a cough, fever, or other symptoms of illness refrain from visiting the water
- All patrons asked to wear a face covering when NOT actively swimming or in the pool water (NEVER wear a face covering while actively swimming or allow children to do so).
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol will readily accessible at the entrance and in proximity to high touch
- Maintain at least six (6) feet between you and other people who are not part of your social
- All visitors will be required to sign an Assumption of Risk waiver form upon
- All guests are encouraged to their own lawn chair and/or blanket to enjoy as tables and chairs inside the facility have been
- Lifeguards will be thoroughly cleaning all touch spots and bathrooms in between
- Lifeguards will blow the whistle 15 minutes before the end of the session, signally for everyone to start getting out of the pool and making their way to the
“Despite a hectic beginning to the Summer season packed with many unprecedented changes, we are ready to get the season started and excited for kids and their families to be able to return to the water,” said Amanda Yasko, Aquatic Supervisor for South Bend Venues Parks & Arts.
Opened in 2000, Kennedy Water Playground features a zero entry, interactive water playground that is geared for toddlers through elementary aged children. With a slide, tire swing, multiple spray features and only being 18 inches at its deepest point, it is somewhere that all children can enjoy “pool time” with older siblings, grandparents or other adult guardians. For more information you can contact the Kennedy Water Playground at (574) 235-9407.
Venues Parks & Arts is a department in the City of South Bend that inspires a more livable South Bend for all, connecting people to emotionally engaging experiences and to one another. For more information about Venues Parks & Arts visit www.sbvpa.org. For the latest updates on facility and program openings in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus, visit www.sbvpa.org/updates/.
# # #
Who: South Bend Venues Parks & Arts
What: Kennedy Water Playground Opening
When: Friday, July 3 – Friday, August 7, 2020
Where: 2700 Westmoor St., South Bend, IN 46628
Hours of Operation: Monday – Thursday
Session 1: 10-noon
Session 2: 12:30-2:30
Session 4: 5:30-7:30
Session 1: 10-noon
Session 2: 12:30-2:30
Session 3: 3:00-5:00
Ages 0-2: Free
Ages 3 – 10: $4 Ages 11 and over $5
Session 4 (Mon-Thur): Everyone is $2