The City of South Bend recommends Halloween Trick-or-Treat hours to be 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 31. This recommendation coincides with the date and hours for St. Joseph County and the City of Mishawaka.
The Police Department offers the following tips for trick-or-treaters:
- Trick-or-treat in familiar neighborhoods.
- Only visit houses that are well lit and have porch lights are on (residents are asked to keep porch lights on during the allotted hours).
- Trick-or-treaters should travel in groups and be accompanied by parents or guardians.
- Do not eat open candy. Before consuming candy, parents or guardians should look it over.
- Wearing masks create blind spots; they should fit well for better visibility (use face paint as an alternative).
- Wear visible costumes or reflective tape to be seen and to stand out in the dark.
- Carry a flashlight or glow stick for better visibility.
The South Bend Police Crime Prevention Unit, South Bend Fire Department, St. Joseph County Police, and the Mishawaka Police Departments will host “Treat Night” on Monday, October 28 from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the garage area of the South Bend Police Department, 701 W. Sample Street. The departments will pass out candy, teach children how to survive a house fire at the Fire Department’s smoke house, and more.
Potawatomi Zoo, 500 S. Greenlawn Ave. will hold its annual “Zoo Boo” event Friday, October 25 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m., Saturday, October 26 from 3:00 to 9:00 p.m., and Sunday, October 27 from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. There will be a haunted train ride on Friday and Saturday, and a non-haunted ride available on Sunday. For more information, visit www.sbpark.org/activities/special-events.
The Studebaker National Museum, 201 South Chapin Street, will also hold their fourth annual “Trunk-or-Treat” party on Friday, October 25th from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. in its AM General Atrium. There will be games, treats, and crafts. Children must be in costume and accompanied by an adult. Admission is free for both children and their parents or guardians.