City of South Bend ReLeaf
Fall ReLeaf: Monday, October 28 - Monday, December 2, 2013
Now that fall has arrived, the Street Department will start its annual leaf pick-up program. The fall ReLeaf program will start on Monday, October 28 and run until Monday, December 2.
Here are some helpful steps from the Street Department to streamline the pick-up process:
- Please rake leaves to the curb line but do not rake leaves into the street, as this will plug the street drains, which could cause flooding during rain.
- Avoid parking on top or in front of leaf piles along curb lines, as this hampers crews from collecting the leaves.
- Do not contaminate leaf piles by putting in sticks, trash, and other debris. The City will not pick these piles up and it will be the property owner’s responsibility to dispose of contaminated piles. (The City will not come back to these piles.)
- Avoid raking leaves to curb lines after crews have finished your street. We will not return until the next scheduled day in your area.
- Burning of leaves is prohibited and in violation of City ordinance.
- The City encourages residents not to bag leaves, but instead rake leaves to curb line. If leaves must be bagged, residents are encouraged to purchase paper bags (instead of plastic bags) at hardware or home improvement stores to lessen non-biodegradable waste.