A vehicle is considered abandoned if it meets the following description:
- On private property and over 3 years old, mechanically inoperable and in a location visible from public property for 20 days OR
- On public property and partially dismantled or missing major mechanical parts OR
- On public property for a period of three days without being proven operable.
- The Inspector verifies that the vehicle is considered abandoned according to Indiana State Law.
- The vehicle is ticketed with a red tag advising the owner that the vehicle must be proven operable or removed.
- If the vehicle owner has not complied within 72 hours, the vehicle is towed.
- If the vehicle is valued at under $500, the vehicle is sold for scrap immediately.
- If the vehicle is valued at over $500, the owners will receive written notification allowing them 15 days to reclaim their vehicle.