We’re responsible for upholding city codes regarding environmental, housing, and zoning ordinances. By identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits, we serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of South Bend’s business and residential communities.
Litter Code Violation What is a litter violation?What is the litter abatement procedure?How do I report a litter violation?311 Process…
Request an Interior Code Inspection Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior…
Vegetation Code Violation A litter violation may be opened as a result of a citizen complaint or an inspector observing…
How to check if a property has outstanding Code Enforcement violations, invoices, and fines When is How to check if…
Trash Can Ticket Regulations [Summary] What are the ticket regulations for trash cans?Containers must not be placed on the front…
Code Enforcement is temporarily suspending RSVP inspections in light of Coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns.
Please continue to contact Code Enforcement to share your information and get in the queue for when inspections resume.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Monday – Friday: 8am – 4:45pm
- Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Please see Code Enforcement Overview for more information.
Open Data about Code Enforcement can be found on the City’s Open Data Portal.
Information on South Bend Animal Resource Center can be found here.
Violation Types & Procedures
Code Enforcement is responsible for identifying ordinance violations and responding to citizen complaints within city limits.
The most common types of violations are:
- Tall Grass
- Uncontrolled Dumping
- Traffic Obstructions
- Snow Removal
- Abandoned and Illegally Parked Vehicles
- Substandard Housing Conditions (ex: broken windows or doors, no heat, dilapidated flooring, vacant and abandoned properties, structural issues, etc.)
- Zoning Violations (ex: conducting a business in a residential neighborhood, multiple families residing in a single family structure, garage or trailer used as a residence, etc.)
For more information on these violations and how they are processed, please see their individual pages.
Current Vacant & Abandoned, Demolition & RSVP Lists
Please follow this link to view lists. These lists are updated weekly.
For information about organizing a neighborhood cleanup, please view brochure and call 311 (574-233-0311) to schedule!
Please mail completed forms to:
Department of Code Enforcement
227 W. Jefferson Blvd., Ste. 1300s
South Bend, IN 46601
Inspection Areas Map
Inspector Contact Information
Chief Inspector – Jim W. 574-245-6060
- Area 1: Chris P. 574-235-5917
- Area 2: Ed W. 574-245-6062
- Area 3: Dora G. 574-235-5990
- Area 4: Tom A. 574-245-6061
- Area 5: John H. 574-235-5916
- Area 6: Jeff D. 574-235-5526
- Areas 1 & 2 – Dena C. 574-245-6096
- Areas 3 &4 – Chad H. 574-235-9170
- Areas 5 & 6 – Steve M. 574-235-5918
Lead Safety Information
News & Announcements
227 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 1300 S South Bend, Indiana 46601