How do I file for a D.B.A. (Doing Business As)?

The following formal business entities require the filing of organizational documents with the Corporations Division of the Secretary of State: Corporation, S-Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Nonprofit Corporation, Limited Partnership, and Limited Liability Partnership.

All filing and reports for formal business entities should be sent to:

Indiana Secretary of State
Business Service Division
302 W. Washington St., RM E018
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships DO NOT require filing with the Indiana Secretary of State to come into existence.  If the business name does not contain the owner’s name(s), file a Doing Business As, also known as an Assumed Business Name, form with the St. Joseph County Recorder’s office to secure your business name on a county level.  Example: John Doe operates a business as a Sole Proprietor; d.b.a. John’s Plumbing Service.  Registration of a business does not protect the name from being used by another business.

Less formal entities file with:

St. Joseph County Recorder
227 W. Jefferson Blvd., RM 321
South Bend, IN 46601